This is a one day training course in suicide awareness and prevention skills for a maximum of 30 participants. This course is aimed at people in contact with older people at risk of suicide: care workers, volunteers, community workers, carers and older people themselves. Participants will learn:
- a better understanding of the issue of suicide.
- the issues facing older people which may increase their risk of depression and suicide.
- how and why depression often goes undiagnosed in older people.
- simple steps to follow to prevent suicides – how to look for warning signs, how to communicate with an older person who you are concerned about, and how to link them to the help which is available locally.
- knowledge of how to promote a better mental health in older people.
- the importance of maintaining their own positive mental health.